Escape of water – how to protect your home – Aviva

One of the most common home insurance claims is for water leakage, that is, damage caused by a water leak, usually from your plumbing or heating system or an appliance such as a washing machine. but what is covered when you make a claim? and how can you avoid making one in the first place?

the difference between flooding and escaping water

When people see a lot of water in their house, they may assume that it is a flood, but there is a technical difference between flood and water leak in terms of insurance. Flooding occurs when water enters your home from an outside source, such as a bursting river or a broken water pipe. water leakage occurs when water comes from inside your home 1.

Reading: What water damage is covered in homeowners insurance

According to the Association of British Insurers (ABI), water leakage accounts for more than a quarter of home property claims 2.

what is covered

See also: How long do you have to keep insurance policies

You can cover your building, its contents, or both to prevent water leakage, defined as leaks or overflows of water from fixtures, tanks, and other equipment. This coverage typically includes leaking water from things like a bath, shower, built-in fish tank, or a connected appliance like a washing machine or dishwasher. You can also purchase accidental damage coverage, which would protect you from leaks caused by drilling in the wrong place, for example.

with aviva building insurance, we also cover:

  • damage to fixed pipes, tanks and equipment caused by frozen water in them
  • costs to remove parts of the interior structure (such as a wall) to find a hidden leak that has damaged your home. once the leak has been found and fixed, we will pay to fix it afterwards. the most we will pay for this under our standard home cover is £5,000
  • rooms and annexes that are part of the house
  • If you are an aviva home insurance customer and you have a leak, you should call us immediately on 0345 030 6945^ with your policy number to hand.

    what is not covered

    If a leak is caused by a pipe that has been damaged by wear and tear, you will likely be required to pay to repair the pipe, as wear and tear is not normally covered.

    See also: What is the difference between claims made and occurrence insurance

    Our standard home insurance policy typically does not cover leaking and freezing water after your home has been unoccupied for more than 60 days in a row. we may be able to extend your coverage after this; talk to customer service.

    Depending on your insurer, you may not be covered if water leaks from unrepaired equipment, for example, if you spill a bucket of water on it. You will have to pay a franchise for leakage and freezing of water claims. you should refer to your policy document for the details of your deductible(s).

    how to prevent water damage

    Fortunately, there are ways to prevent or minimize water damage. Here are some things you can do to avoid an expensive claim:

    • check for cracked tiles, damaged or missing bath and shower sealant, and grout and replace if necessary
    • check for visible signs of leaks, such as wet spots or brown marks on ceilings.
    • do not leave faucets unattended when they are open
    • lag pipes that are vulnerable to freezing (such as those in the attic).
    • know where your stopcocks are and test them to make sure they’re working if you need to shut them off if there’s a leak
    • have a professional install a leak detection device that can monitor your water usage and shut off the water supply if you suspect a leak
    • if you’re DIYing, use a pipe detection device to check where the pipes are before drilling into the wall
    • Most insurers, including Aviva, will expect you to take reasonable steps to keep your property in good condition to prevent loss or damage. if you don’t, your insurer may not be able to pay some or all of your claim.

      See also: Average Cost of Commercial Building Insurance UK 2022 | NimbleFins