How to make an insurance claim for water damage

check your home insurance policy

Different insurance policies provide different levels of coverage. Please read your insurance documents to verify what is covered before speaking with your insurance company. you may be able to get:

  • replacing items damaged by the flood
  • professional cleaning help
  • temporary alternative housing if you need to move while your home is being repaired
  • Your insurance policy will include an excess amount. this is the amount you must pay before the company pays a damage claim.

    Reading: How to make an insurance claim for water damage

    if you own your home

    Contact your insurance company to let them know your home was flooded and you want to file a claim. If you have moved to temporary accommodation, please provide the company with your new contact details.

    You may have one insurance policy to cover damage to the structure of your home, such as walls, ceilings, and floors, and another to cover the contents (things you own).

    If you have policies with two different insurance companies, you should call both.

    if you live in rented accommodation

    If you rent your home, ask the landlord to contact the company that insures your home.

    See also: How To Increase Your Funeral Plan Sales In 3 Easy Steps | Today&039s Wills and Probate

    You will need to contact your insurance company if you have contents insurance. tell them about the flood and tell them you want to file a contents claim.

    Your policy will include an additional amount. this is the amount you must pay before the company pays a content claim.

    questions to ask your insurance company

    Your insurance company will send a loss adjuster to assess the damage to your home. the loss adjuster may not come right away if there has been a lot of flooding in your area.

    When you call the insurance company, be sure to find out:

    • how long will it be before the loss adjuster can come and examine the damage
    • if the company will organize and pay for the cleaning and redecoration of your home
    • who will handle your insurance claim
    • maintain proof of flood damage

      When you get back home, you’ll need to record the flood damage so you can show it to the insurance company.

      Do not remove or replace any damaged items without the approval of your insurance company.

      See also: What is a State Exchange Plan? | eHealth

      To assess your home, the loss adjuster will need to know the damage to your home from the flood. Before they visit you, you must:

      • Use a permanent ink pen to mark the highest level the flood water reached on the walls of each room
      • take pictures or video of flood damage
      • list details of all flood damage to your home
      • list the food you had to throw away because it was contaminated or spoiled
      • keep track of your claim

        You should keep a detailed record of all phone calls to your insurance company and to anyone cleaning or repairing your home. this will help you when you talk to your insurance company about your claim.

        When calling by phone, you should keep in mind:

        • who did you talk to
        • date and time you made or received the call
        • what was agreed
        • also important:

          • keep copies of all letters, emails and faxes you send or receive
          • keep receipts from any emergency repair work you paid for, like fixing electrical fixtures, so you can claim the money
          • Do not throw anything away until the insurance company tells you to, except:

            • food that has spoiled or been contaminated
            • an item that is a health hazard
            • take out home insurance

              If you find it difficult to renew your home insurance because you had a flood, to find another insurer go to:

              See also: The Different Types of Term Life Insurance (2022)

              • association of british insurers
              • more useful links

                • local councils in northern ireland
                • deal with emergencies
                • Collegiate Institute of Loss Adjusters
                • british association of insurance brokers